Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Once Again Reminder

I constantly think about good proportions in almost everything:
  • color
  • clothes
  • food
  • decor
  • bodies
  • work and play
  • and especially, art. 
A one-third to two-thirds proportion is a rough Fibonacci or Golden Ratio approximation.
I always knew about positioning parts of a drawing/painting using thirds, but recently learned how light and dark in those general proportions creates a most eye-pleasing design. (See this blog entry.)

So, one-third dark to two-thirds light . . .


or vice-versa one-third light to two-thirds dark, either way.


Naturally this is not an absolute! Much great art throughout all history does not follow this guideline. This is just an insight to occasionally ponder as you choose which tangle on your palette of patterns you will recreate with your pen.

And as always . . . Enjoy!


Click images for larger view.

8 comments:

Carole Ohl said...

Thanks for the reminder! Now that you've said this, I'm pretty sure this is why my Diva challenge for this week doesn't feel finished. I shall have a cup of tea, turn my tile and ponder!

crotnem said...

Thanks, I believe I'd heard of doing art of any sort, in thirds, just had forgotten about it until you said it now. TFS

Shelly Beauch said...

Great tip! Thanks Maria, I love your lessons.

Sue Clark said...

Great reminder! Your blog is so full of wonderful info that I look back on a lot. I love when you remind of us of past posts to read again...always learning and loving it!

gift ideas said...

It look really gorgeous.This a new thing.It is back and white designs in the different shapes.It look really good.

gift ideas

Margaret Bremner, Artist said...

I've known about the rule of thirds in terms of space/dimensions. What a wonderful insight to think of it in terms of light/dark, color, etc.. Thanks!
--Margaret

50cc mopeds said...

This all drawings are look so beautiful.It look awesome.I really impress by this drawing.It look some extra ordinary work.

juicy*s said...

I've always loved Mucha! And now I love Zentangles! I am a beginner but very inspired by your youtube videos ...would love to see more! Here are some I did yesterday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37392620@N03/6847112147/in/photostream. Thank you MT and RR!